Saturday, October 31, 2009

If your apartment floods, destroying most of your belongings, what should your legal course of action be?

My basement apartment in brooklyn flooded two days ago, damaging a great deal of my belongings (I was up to my knees in water). My lanlord, not very sympathetic, came over and offered me another basement apartment he rents out, which is bigger than mine but in a worse neighborhood. I, frustrated, took it because i really have no one to stay here with in New York, and I wanted to get the things that were actually still useable out of the filthy apartment. I want to find a new place and move out, but i feel like i should be compensated. I took pictures of everything. Do I, as a tenant, have any rights when it comes to this situation?
Answers:
Unless you had renter's insurance, you have no legal recourse.
If you didn't purchase renters insurance, you are out of luck!
You should've purchased renter's insurance. You're SOL.
If your a Democrat...BLAME GW...then whine and ask for federal help...then whine you dont get it fast enough.then find another reason to whine...
Probably not--Thats why Insurance Companies are in business---You may or may not have insurance and it might not cover flooding anyway.
If water was in the items in the basement, best thing to do is send them out with the trash. They will never be usable again. We had 4 feet of water in our basement (it also contains sewage if you didnt know) so it is best you moved out. It is impossible to get all the germs out. Sorry.
Hmmm, you probably dont have much recourse unless you can prove that there was known issues with the piping (I am assuming this is what caused the flooding) that the landlord refused to fix. I suggest getting renters insurance from now on.
You can sue him..I lived in an apartment when I was young and I had renters insurance..beyond that I don't know
I'm not saying this to be a jerk and I don't know what your rights are. I'm in Las Vegas and when I moved in proof of renters insurance was a requirement along with giving the owners indemnity. While you researching your rights take pictures of the water source, find out all the the landlords property holdings and see if there is a history of disgruntled tenants and their complaints and present or past suits. You need to put him on the defensive in order to get him to listen to you.
You can notify your insurance company, assuming you have insurance.
If you want something from the landlord you will have to prove that through neglect, negligence or by intentional act he caused you apartment to flood.
If it was a result of storms or other acts of God and you aren't insured, you are out the cost of your belongings. Sorry.
hopefully you have renters insurance. if so then yes you are fine. you should contact your city bto see if you have any resources to tap into.
Only if you have renter's insurance. That would reimburse you for your damaged property, but unfortunately, because the flooding isn't his fault, a court probably wouldn't hold him liable for the damage. His insurance probably wouldn't cover your property either, it'll just cover the damage to his building, not it's contents. What a drag. I'm so sorry...
With out Renters Insurance your best bet is to see if there is any type of assistance locally for those that were displaced from their homes.
Is FEMA offering any assistance or local charitable organizations?
It's good your landlord had another place for you to stay.
No he doesn't have to pay you. His insurance should cover the actual apt. being fixed and you should have had rentors insurance!! I have it through State Farm %26 it is $93.00/year and I am covered up to $30,000 and that covers if anyone is hurt on my rental property too!!
Only if you have renter's insurance.
renters insurance is the only way you can compensate for your belongings, you can go to web site www.newyorklaws.com, but i can pretty much say with out renters insurance you are not going to see a dime from the owners he is only required to have insurance on the building , and if any body gets hurts on his property,, but like i said you need to go to this web site and find out what new york laws are, GOOD LUCK

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

all "If you" Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net