Saturday, October 24, 2009

If you had to give evidence in court?

and you were Athiest, what do you swear on?
Answers:
I was in court yesterday as a juror.
If you are an atheist then you swear an oath by what is known as an affirmation.
It basically doesn't mention 'almighty god'.
I was quite shocked that out of 12 jurors only two of us chose to make an oath through this means.
It was also rather annoying that the oath we had in front of us was the bible god oath. We actually had to ask for an affirmation to be given to us so that we could make our oath!
All the witnesses that were called made an oath to the bible god.
A very sorry state of affairs!!
Maybe they were just too shy to ask the court usher for an affirmation oath sheet.
if you're an atheist, you aren't a credible witness anyway.
i think you just promise
You dont swear on anything (bible etc) you just swear to tell the truth.
The DNC Charter, oh, wait, that's for Satanists - nevermind.
In the UK?
You have the choice of taking an oath on the book of holy lies of your choice, or swearing an affirmation.
Both are equally binding.
Your conscience?
If you didn't have a sense of moral values you would not have thought of this question. good for you!
Have a good Weekend...
Duke.
there's usually 2 options in the court room, and they should ask you if you want to swear on oath or take the other option (which i forget now). that is if you are in an english court?!
In the majority of Administrative legal proceedings in Illinois we ask the person to raise their right hand and use the words "Do you swear or affirm that the testimony you are about to give is the truth." This abbreviated form does not invoke a God, in an attempt not to offend anyone. The person is swearing on their honor that they will not lie, of course if they do lie they can be held in contempt of court.
I am a Christian and am unhappy using the Holy Bible in this way. When I had to give evidence I always affirmed.
I think it runs something like this. " I ------- do Solemnly and truly affirm that I will tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth"
I'm not sure but I think the Court will allow any Oath which the witness will agree is binding. it will have the full penalties of law in the case of deliberate perjury.
A magistrate friend told me of the day some fifteen years ago that when a Chinese gentleman needed to break a cup or a bowl as part of his oath. The canteen manager would not let the Court have one and the Court had to send someone out to buy one. Of course it made a good after dinner story with some embellishment but I do not know if it was true I hope it was It could only happen in England I'm very proud to say. .
You make an affirmation,
'I do solemnly and sincerely declare and afirm, that the evidence I shall give will be the truth.'

BTW the Chinese plate stories abound, one in our court where the plate was that 'unbreakable' plastic, witness had a few goes, hysterical! WRVS ladies gave us one of their saucers in the end. When I started, I was told (and it's not necessary!)that the witness should take the book (bible) in their right hand..third witness in my first trial, didn't have one!
you affirm, which is a non-denominational solemn oath to tell truth
In English law, at any rate, you "affirm", which is a formal promise similar to the oath, but without reference to swearing by God. Anyone can choose to affirm, rather than take the oath, and persons of various faiths can ask to take an oath according to their religion. The courtroom should have a copy of the Koran, New Testament etc. available if required.
As far as I can recall the affirmation is "I solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

all "If you" Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net