Saturday, October 24, 2009

If you bought an antique that was being stolen from a museum many decades ago, can you still keep?

Or you have to give it up without any sort of compensation?
Answers:
Possession of stolen property gives you no rights.
You can't keep it nor are you entitled to compensation when it is reclaimed by the rightful owner.
If you knew or suspected it was stolen, you are an accessory after the fact to the crime at the least.
Only politicians and their friends are allowed to keep what they steal.
If you bought it legally, they can't just take it from you without compensation. Whoever commited the theft is financially responsible.
If they can prove it was stolen, you lose it. And there would be no compensation to you for the loss.
If you have bill of sale it might be OK. However, if it's a real valuable piece and the place from which it was stolen filled a police report and can prove the item in question is theirs, I'm afraid your out of luck.
i think there is a statute of limitations on stolen property, so i know you wouldn't be charged with a crime, but I don't know that you are allowed to actually KEEP the property.
NO, and every day you do keep it your a theif...and you know what is funny: you know it..!!!!!!!!... it..
That's what is wrong with America they think the Ten Commandments are negeotiable.
I don't know if it's illegal, after all you did pick it out and pay for it, so it really should be yours. If that happened to me i would feel guilty of buying something that was stolen, and return it to the original place.
If someone stole your brand new car a year ago, would it be ok for the thief to keep it ? Come on ! This is common sense ! What never belonged to you in the first place, does'nt belong to you now. Things the Nazis stole during WWII are still being returned.
Not sure if I'm right, but I think works of art that were stolen have to be returned regardless if you knew it was stolen and I don't think there is a statute of limitations. I think the governing law may be a treaty or something like that. You might be out of luck, unless there is a reward for its return.
Everyone here who says you are possessing and now concealing stolen property is absolutely correct. Since you know it that makes it even worse. I've bought properyt before and when I suspected it was stolen, I go to the person who it was stolen from. Find out if it is theirs, if so give it to them and tell them how you ended up with it. DO NOT ASK FOR REPAYMENT! This is a double edged sword that you must fall upon. Since they are capable of prosecuting you, for having it also. But, sometimes they will thank you and even stand up for you in terms of prosecution. They can talk to a DA and ask that you not be prosecuted because you did return it. I lost a $20 gold coin in this way. The man had taken it from her grandbaby. This woman was already raising her grandbaby, she couldn't afford to raise. This loss would have devastated her, tremendously. You'd be surprised at how grateful she was to get it back. Even my local PD, and most of my acquaintances know this. I've had many of them ask for help in getting back things that were stolen from them in the past. And although my success is limited as I will not buy the property back, I have tried to appeal to the possessors common sense side and have been handed some things to return to the proper owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

all "If you" Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net