Saturday, October 31, 2009

If you won the lottery in a different state, what kind of an attorney would you get?

Would you get one for your state or the one that you won the lottery in? I know that state laws are the mostly the same so wouldn't you get one in your state?
Answers:
If you won the state lottery, why would you need an attorney? The pay-out rules are clearly stated and not subject to dispute. There are tax implications. In addition, if you did not opt for lump-sum, then you would need to work out the payout modalities. So, you would need an accountant that you trust, especially if you have won a lot of money.
I wouldn't get an attorney, I would go to the nearest lotto office and get my money. Drive home, deposit check.
You're going to need a lawyer on an ongoing basis if you win many millions. I'd pick one in my home state that I trust, and I'd let that attorney find the right kind of lawyer in the other state.
The reason lottery winners get an attorney is to protect their interests. Usually they want to do that in their home state. If legal work needs to be done for some reason in the other state, your attorney will assist you in finding one.
Usually, you want one who deals in Estates, Trusts %26 Wills.
You should get an attorney specializing in your home state's laws because that's where you will be keeping/managing/spending the money.
I don't know your situation but if I were you I would go and claim the money first, get the check, deposit the check and then if you really feel you need an attorney, get one in the state that you live in. I'm sure whoever you get will be some crook who will overcharge you for all of his or her services, just because you're a lottery winner. So who needs them really!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

all "If you" Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net