Tuesday, May 25, 2010

IHSS Dilemma?

I have been taking care of my grandmother since 2005, and have been getting paid by IHSS (In Home Supportive Services) in the State of California. But recently (around April of this year), she's been diagnosed with cancer in the pancreas, and she's been goin' back and forth from the hospital to the nursing home. She's currently stationed at a nursing home (hopefully on a temporary basis) and I visit her everyday to carry out my daily chores (meal preparation, laundry, cleaning her dentures, keeping her company, etc.) before, in-between, and after school - assuming that I may still be eligible for IHSS payments. It's now August, and I'm apprehensive towards my eligibility with IHSS. I've been attempting to contact social services to no avail, and now I'm just worried. I'm a full-time student on overload, and I'm stressed. What can I do, and how do I tackle my situation? Do I have to pay back the payments I've been receiving since April, and/or do I just stop getting paid altogether?
Answers:
First of all, I'm sorry, IHSS is THE DEVIL, I am a caretaker for a disabled friend, and I've spent many hours on their stupid automated system trying to get things figured out for both of us.
Second, I don't know if IHSS will still pay you if she is in a home getting other care? They only give a person so many hours per month, and full-time care may take most of that up.
The best thing to do would be to go to your local office, they can't put you on hold as much if you're there in the flesh.
I'm confused... They've been paying you still? I don't think you'll have to pay that money back, it was a mistake on their behalf, plus can you imagine them trying to collect it? If they haven't been paying you, you will definitely get your back payments, assuming that you have been eligible this whole time.
Good luck, from someone who hates IHSS just as much as you... And I hope your grandmother is doing better!
Since you are no longer caring for her in home, I would think the payments for providing in home care would end. I am baffled by why you would go to a nursing home and do all of those daily chores (except the visitation which should not be a chore) when nursing homes are paid to perform those services.
You can speak to the social worker in the nursing home and ask for help in contacting someone. I think its great you are giving her personal attention even while she is in a nursing home, hopefully she will be able to come home soon.
Are you still helping with the things at her residence? Paying bills, cleaning, etc...? If so you should still qualify for payment. Best of luck for both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

all "If you" Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net